Translate

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The watercolor paints I use the most

I've tried many different brands over the years. I started with Cotman (the Winsor Newton student brand) and other store brands, such as Utrecht.

But now I've found my favorites.

Holbein
Daniel Smith
Winsor Newton

Cadmium Red
Alizarin Crimson
Quinacridone Magenta
Phthalo Blue
French Ultramarine
Cerulean Blue
Hooker's Green
Olive Green
Naples Yellow (my latest purchase for a new portrait - seems softer than both Cad yellow and Ochre)
Cad Medium Yellow
Yellow Ochre
Quinadricone Purple
Mineral Violet
Burnt Sienna
Sepia
Payne's Grey                      


This palette has evolved over many years. Now that I've been painting portraits, I've been honing different flesh tones and hair color, so I am always mixing new colors.

Each brand acts a bit differently. Windsor newton tends to be a bit grainy, at least I find it to be in Sepia. And it's necessary to mix out the grains before it hits the paper.

Daniel Smith has a lovely texture, and Holbein has become my new favorite.

My next post will be brushes and palettes.






No comments:

Post a Comment