Translate

Monday, July 7, 2014

Creating a Self Portrait from a photo reference

At some time, you may find you will be asked to create a self-portrait. These are the suggestions I usually give to people if they are going to work from a photo reference.

1. Set up the portrait session as though you were going to paint someone else. Look at it from an objective point of view.

2. Have someone take a new photograph of you. It's tempting to want to use your favorite photo from a past event. I know, I was 20 pounds lighter some years ago and high school photos looked pretty tempting to me. However, this is your chance to create something new.

3. Take special care and consideration with the lighting and the environment around you.

4. Review the first set of photos with your photographer (in my case, my husband). Will any of them work for you? If not, make some changes.

This self-portrait was created four years ago, in watercolor. I had the photo taken in my living room and I liked the look of the drapes. I chose to be photographed with the book because reading is very important to me.

Why am I looking off and down to the bottom right? Because that gave my jaw the most flattering angle.

I plan to do another self-portrait by the end of the year. I'll be sure to post it!

No comments:

Post a Comment